Answered By: Library West
Last Updated: Oct 29, 2014     Views: 392

Reviewing the film titles in the catalog, it doesn’t appear that the films were purchased from distributors that regularly package DVDs with public performance licenses. These are films that are available through Amazon and other commercial vendors for $20-30 (and at this price point, there wouldn’t be PPR included). Therefore, a license will need to be obtained for screening by a student club that is open to the public. (Note: According to the U.S. copyright law, 17 U.S.C. §110, a public performance is any screening of a videocassette, DVD, videodisc or film which occurs outside of the home, or at any place where people are gathered who are not family members, such as in a school, library, auditorium, classroom or meeting room. There is an exception where the screening is taking place as part of face to face teaching and the film is being shown by the instructor to students enrolled in a course.)

If a copyrighted movie is not licensed for public performance (i.e., it's licensed only for home use), you will need to obtain permission from the copyright owner. There are two ways to do this:
1. Contact the copyright holder directly, or contact the distributor if the distributor has the authority from the copyright owner to grant licenses, to purchase public performance rights or to request permission for a particular public performance use. You can find the name of the copyright holder/distributor in the bib record; or
2. Contact the licensing service representing the particular studio or title Services vary in the types of licensing offered and the scope of materials represented. The most common PPR licensing companies and their contact info are listed below. Please note – the price for PPR licensing can be steep – can range from $100-500 per title per event. The agencies will want to know the date of the showing, the estimated number of attendees, whether admission will be charged, etc. when you call for licensing.

Vendors that Grant Public Performance Rights for Copyrighted Movies

Criterion Pictures USA, Inc.
8238-40 Lehigh
Morton Grove, IL 60053-2615
1-800-890-9494 or 1-847-470-8164
Fax: 1-847-470-8194

Kino International Corp.
333 W. 39th Street, Ste. 503
New York, N.Y. 10018
1-800-562-3330 or 1-212-629-6880
Fax: 1-212-714-0871
Email: or

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC)
5455 Centinela Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90066-6970
1-800-462-8855 or 1-310-822-8855
Fax 1-310-822-4440

Movie Licensing USA
A division of Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.
201 South Jefferson Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63103-2579
Schools: 1-877-321-1300
Libraries: 1-888-267-2658
Other organizations: 1-800-876-5577
Fax:1-314-287-1748 (schools), 1-877-876-9873 (libraries)
Email: or

New Yorker Films
16 West 61st Street
New York, NY 10023
1-877-247-6200 or 1-212-247-6110
Fax: 1-212-307-7855

Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.
(800) 876-5577

Related Topics

    Contact Us